Subscribe to Newsletter

Top Tech News

Google upgrades Toolkit.

Intel to delay the launch of Centrino 2.

Future Windows with Touch screen.

Looming IT salaries ,a threat to Indian Employers.

Soaring airfares prompt global video conferencing.


Immigration News

Increased protection under H-2B programme.

New boarder crossing rules.

Plea for more H-1B visas.

L-1 visa gaining popularity among US employers.

US to take biometric data of travellers.



Immigration News

2008,May,15 10:07:54

New boarder crossing rules.

The Department of Homeland Security continues to try to inform domestic and international travelers about the new border identification requirements that will become effective June 1, 2009. In order to make the borders safer the Department of Homeland Security is doing away with accepting over 8,000 documents at the border. The new identification policy is the result of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative or WHTI. Travelers from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Caribbean and the U.S. used to be exempt from having to present certain documentation when entering the United States. Currently the U.S. government mandates that travelers going to and from the United States via land or sea must present either: 1) a passport  or a document that is WHTI compliant, or 2) some type of government issued identification and proof of citizenship. An example of a government issued ID would be a driving license while a birth certificate could serve as proof of citizenship. Starting June 1, 2009 travelers via land and sea will have to present a passport, passport card or WHTI-compliant documentation. WHTI-compliant documents include: state issued enhanced driverís license, U.S. military identification with military travel orders, Native American tribal photo identification card, Form I-872 American Indian card, enhanced tribal cards, U.S. merchant mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business, and the trusted traveler cards (NEXUS, FAST or SENTRI). For those traveling via air they must present a passport or its equivalent which is in effect now.

Email this Page